In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, on March 18, 2020, the Government of Canada announced the COVID-19 Economic Response Plan. This plan includes $305 million for a new, distinctions-based Indigenous Community Support Fund to address immediate needs in First Nations, Inuit and Métis communities. A portion of these funds was set aside to support to regional, urban and off-reserve Indigenous organizations.
These funds were provided to our community with the flexibility needed to design and implement community-based solutions to prepare for and react to the spread of COVID-19 within our community. These funds could be used for measures including, but not limited to:
– support for Elders and vulnerable community members
– measures to address food insecurity
– educational and other support for children
– mental health assistance and emergency response services
– preparedness measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19
Click HERE to see the list of allocations to each community across Canada.